Blame Game

As I have gotten older, I have realized the importance of religion. While in undergrad, I was exposed to a variety of other beliefs that I never knew existed. I mean you have Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, atheists, etc. However, one thing that really baffles me is that with all these discrepancies in religions, people still have a hard time admitting that they made an honest mistake.

Admitting that you are not perfect should be a requirement in everyone's life. Perhaps I'm preaching to the choir, but I cannot recall anyone walking this planet as "perfect." As I type this, I think back on some of the mistakes I have made in my life. In particular, during my younger days, I used to think that everything would fall right into place in my life. Boy was I wrong.

Oh my goodness, he's got to be the sickest man in western New York
What intrigued me last night while I was watching SportsCenter was the audacity that one player had to say over a mistake he made. Buffalo Bills wide receiver, Steve Johnson, dropped a potential game-winning touchdown pass in overtime of a game against the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Steelers went on to win the game by a field goal.

Johnson was obviously upset after the drop as well as after the game. He had the audacity to blame God for his mistake. Just when I think I've heard (or in this case read) it all, something is bound to prove otherwise. I'm used to hearing people thanking God after a personal achievement, but to blame Him after a loss? That's absurd. I may be wrong, but I'm not real sure that God is overly concerned with sporting events or played any role in Johnson taking his eyes off the ball. I guess Johnson lives in a consequence-free world where all errors can be blamed on a supreme being. That's like me blaming God for allowing me to fail an accounting test; utter and complete foolishness.

I'm sure tweeting a passive-aggressive swipe at God isn't the way a gentleman responds. A gentleman owns up to his errors and looks at them as learning lessons. I can't count how many times I've made an error, especially while playing sports.


Steve Johnson needs to learn that there are times in which mistakes will make a person stronger. Mistakes allow a person to gain life experience, see the error in their ways, and give them the ability to fight through them. For example, Michael Jordan made 25 game-winning shots during his NBA career. Jordan has taken missed more opportunities than the previously mentioned. There are going to be times in which we will fail, but it takes true strength to keep moving forward, despite a setback.

0 Responses to "Blame Game"

Post a Comment